Saturday, August 27, 2011

Paint Chip Names for Men

Last week, while I was attempting to leave the washroom at work, the following sign, posted on the door, caught my attention:



In case you can't read the image above, due to its small size, it reads "given the right name, he'll agree to any color", and that beautiful peony colored swatch is name "razor burn"....

I have to admit, after using the washroom, I was a little startled to see that sign, but I did find it humorous as well.

As I went back onto the work floor, I was stopped by our CIL paint rep, who showed me the following video on her BlackBerry:


CIL Paint Chip Names for Men from alex fong on Vimeo.

Wow!

I'm not 100% sure if the video was staged, or if those were actual interviews, but it caught my attention. I see this almost every day: The female chooses the color, and the man gets hindered by the name *heaven forbid his man cave should be painted in Spring Mist*. Studies do show that while the woman does make the initial choice in paint color, it's the man who does have the final say (I guess it has something to do with the whole bread-winner mentality). Therefore, this contest is actually ingenious.

And then a bunch of brochures started popping up everywhere:




To enter the Paint Chip Re-naming contest, head over here. There's a few options of colors to choose between, and you can re-name whichever swatch color you'd like. Other people get to vote for your name, and the most votes wins a $10,000 Ultimate Home Theater Makeover. And, just by entering, you get a $10 off coupon on your next can of paint. The top 10 swatch names will get printed up in a special brochure.

And, in the rules and regulations, I have recently discovered, that because I work for Home Depot, I am not eligible to be involved in this contest... which sucks, because naming paint swatches is my dream! (or, at least, one of them...) So, on my behalf, please check it out! You've got until the end of September to get in on all the manly-paint-naming-action!

2 comments: