Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Why I Don't Hate Homesense Anymore.

I am, in no sense of the word, a good "thrift store shopper".

And by "thrift store", I don't mean just second hand shops. I mean any store that carries one-of-a-kind items in limited quantities. I like being able to find the product I want online and know that there is unlimted stock and then envisioning it in my home and making that mass produced item feel like a one-of-a-kind.

And then, there's Homesense.

I've been there countless times, earnestly trying to find something I like- because, so many people I know find treasures there. To me, it's just a store full of junk- much of which will never look good, no matter what the setting is. I've often wondered if I'm shopping on the right days. Some people tell me to go when their shipments get in for best variety. But, it's still junk.

(the candle holder on the left is our unity candle from our wedding!)

But, on a recent visit, we found this mirror (pictured above), that perfectly nests on the top of our bedroom dresser. And it's exquisite in design. It's one of the few items that we own that I would dare to describe as beautiful.

This jewelry holder is kind of empty...
I should get on filling it a little quicker!
And we also found this jewlery stand. I've been meaning to get Jackie one for some time (ever since the one that I ordered for her at Christmas from Urban Outifitters was back ordered. bah). And this one had birds! And was only ten bucks!
Both are great additions to our bedroom. And what I've learned about stores like Homesense is this:

You can't go in expecting to find something, or be amazed every time- you simply have to leave all expectations at the door, and just go for the pleasure of shopping and being out. And if you can do that successfully, you may be pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment