Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I'm a Hooker

It's true. I'm pretty sure I didn't see this day coming. But, I'm glad to have it off my chest.

I'm a hooker.
You know- the kind of person that really digs hooks and wants to put them up all over the house... What'd you think I meant?

When I was younger we moved into this old farm house that had hooks in every single room- on every surface- from the ceiling, on the doors, on the side of the countertop, on the trim- literally, everywhere. I remember watching my mom dauntingly pull every hook out, while she muttered curses under her breath, and filled every hole. While I wasn't overly decor-conscious at the time, I have a vague memory of this epic moment where I vowed to never have a single hook in my home. I'm not sure what's changed, but lately, I cannot get enough of them! They're just soooo freakin' practical, I don't really see any other way around it!

You can find hooks pretty much anywhere from 3M Peel and Stick hooks (which work fantastic, and we discovered recently that are quite easy to remove) to decorative cast iron, stainless, or plastic ones. 

We - or I should say, my wonderful wife- hung a series of hooks in our bathroom recently. We took out the old, useless towel bar, and gave each person in our family a hook for their bath towels- it looks awesome!



Here are some of my favorite hooks that I've stumbled across as of late:

Arrow Hanger:



Sticks Multi Hook:


Chalkboard Hook:



For an inexpensive alternative to purchasing brand new hooks, here's a project to fancy up your hooks that you can do in 15 minutes or  less- paint them! I know... obvious, right? But just by giving a hook a few light coats of a glossy spray paint, you can customize your own hooks! This especially works well if you have several different kinds of hooks lying around- painting them all the same color will unify them, and make for an interesting (and useful) grouping!

No comments:

Post a Comment